How To Get Your AZ License In Ontario
So, you want to know how to get your AZ license in Ontario and get a great truck driving job?
No problem. We’ll show you exactly what you need. But…
Getting your AZ license won’t guarantee you a job driving a truck.
Many trucking companies value one specific skill that isn’t fully tested for during your AZ drivers license test. We’ll show you what it is in just a minute. Before we do, let’s find out how to get your AZ license in Ontario.
Make sure you meet the minimum MTO requirements for getting your AZ license…
- You must be 18 years of age or older. But many trucking companies will require new drivers to enter the U.S. where you must be 21 years old to drive a truck.
- You need to have a valid G license and then…
- You have to pass a medical examination.
With that out of the way, you must then pass the written test demonstrating an understanding of the rules of the road for driving large trucks and tractor trailers.
With the written AZ license test passed, you’re ready to…
Book a road test
For the road test…
- You’ll have to perform a daily inspection commonly known as a circle check and be required to name the item of equipment checked, and briefly describe its condition.
- You’ll also have to demonstrate uncoupling and coupling of the units of the combination vehicle.
- And then you’ll have to back that big rig up to demonstrate your backing skills.
- Finally, you’ll need to show that you can safely drive in traffic.
So, there you have it…how to get your AZ license in Ontario.
The Prized Skill
Now, I promised to tell you about the most important skill that trucking companies look for but isn’t fully tested for at the MTO or taught by cheap truck driving schools.
And that one skill is…
A comprehensive pre-trip inspection.
The MTO simply doesn’t have time to test this but most reputable trucking companies insist you know how to do a comprehensive, under the hood pre-trip inspection.
You can find an Ontario truck driving school to teach you only what’s needed to pass the MTO AZ license test, and you’ll save a few bucks.
But that doesn’t guarantee you one of the many great truck driving jobs available, and may cost you tens of thousands of dollars in the long run.
Be sure you choose a reputable truck training school that takes you beyond the minimum requirements – a school like Tri-County Training.
We’ve been teaching people to drive truck and to get their AZ license since 1978. And are a preferred truck driving school for some of the regions top trucking companies, including Kriska, Challenger and Wayfreight.
If you’re not sure being a truck driver is for you, give us a call at (519) 653-1700 to arrange a private tour of our facility, meet the staff and get your questions answered.